Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Going Greek - Sigma Kappa Style

In the summer of 2014 I decided to go Greek. I had seen all the beneficial things Logan and many of my friends from Northern Michigan received and I wanted in. Another big reason I wanted to join Greek life was because I was transferring to a school that no one I knew at the time! I wanted to become a part of something and make friends that would last a life time. Therefore: Greek Life.

So I go to EMU, I am registered for sorority recruitment, and I had gotten my supa fly roomie to sign up as well. We are in different Rho Chi groups which is cool. I also learned I want to be a Rho Chi at some point. We go through recruitment and meet up at the end of the day to talk about each experience we had. Emily ended up getting pref'd by ΑΣΤ and ΑΓΔ. I was pref'd by ΣΚ and ΣΣΣ. I felt a very strong tie to both sororities, but one was just a little stronger. I ended up putting Sigma Kappa as my number one and I ran home to them.

Bid day was great! Shortly after bid day was homecoming. This was a very important event. This is where I met my future male big, but at this point I did not know male bigs were a thing and was not scouting for one. I was just looking for friends. We are paired up with ΑΣΦ and I took this as an opportunity to scope out friends. I love that fraternity so much. So I make friends with future male big and we go get food together a few times and we end up hanging out ALL OF THE TIME and watching American Horror Story together.

So also in the time between bid day and big little match up I messaged nearly everyone on the big little list to truly figure out who I should put on my list. I met a lot of fantastic women. I ended up meeting my big the day before the list was due and she totally dealt with a Kennedy that was not feeling so great and it was so great of her. Even though our family line is tiny, it is mighty.

While I am still trying to find my place in the Greek community, and while it is nothing like NMU's Greek life, I am still enjoying it and I can't wait to become fully acclimated.

No comments:

Post a Comment